Friday, January 11, 2008

Some quotes about motherhood (and I always did have a good feeling about George Washington)

Blaming mother is just a negative way of clinging to her still.
- Nancy Friday

I love people. I love my family, my children . . . but inside myself is a place where I live all alone and that's where you renew your springs that never dry up.
- Pearl S. Buck

She was the best of all mothers, to whom I owe endless gratitude.
- Thomas Carlyle

My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw.
All I am I owe to my mother.
I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.
- George Washington (1732-1799)

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.
- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

We have a beautiful
mother
Her green lap
immense
Her brown embrace
eternal
Her blue body
everything
we know.
- Alice Walker

It seems to me that my mother was the most splendid woman I ever knew....I have met a lot of people knocking around the world since, but I have never met a more thoroughly refined woman than my mother. If I have amounted to anything, it will be due to her.
- Charles Chaplin

I never thought that you should be rewarded for the greatest privilege of life.
- Mary Roper Coker, Mother of the Year 1958

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.
- Elizabeth Stone

Becoming a mother makes you the mother of all children. From now on each wounded, abandoned, frightened child is yours. You live in the suffering mothers of every race and creed and weep with them. You long to comfort all who are desolate.
- Charlotte Gray

Motherly love is not much use if it expresses itself only as a warm gush of emotion, delicately tinged with pink. It must also be strong, guiding and unselfish. The sweetly sung lullaby; the cool hand on the feverd brow, the Mother's Day smiles and flowers are only a small part of the picture. True mothers have to be made of steel to withstand the difficulties that are sure to beset their children.
- Rachel Billington

[from Mother's Net]

9 comments:

Rima said...

I really like that last quote. Yesterday I had to use my mother strength reserves, although I would have preferred the rose colored glasses.

BTW, thanks for stopping by the other day. I see from your profile page that you are a fan of Leonard Cohen - love him!

Momisodes said...

I love that quote from Elizabeth Stone....These were lovely. Indeed, George Washington....well said :)

ellen said...

Great post, thanks! It is the greatest privilege to be a mother...and a true blessing to look back with love and appreciation to our own mothers.

Mary Alice said...

" It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body"


Isn't that the TRUTH.

Mrs. G. said...

Thanks for the boost, Nora. I think the first quote should be printed on cards and handed out to all young people as they accept their high school diplomas. Think of the savings in therapy bills.

The Chatty Housewife said...

Thank you for "delurking" at my blog! How did you find me? I love your blog title and the way you found it, very funny!

Lindy said...

These are great! Love the one from Pearl S. Buck - I'd never heard it before.

motherbumper said...

Nancy Friday's quote is so true. Great collection, I love this kind of post.

Vanessa said...

I love the one by Elizabeth Stone. Great post.