Thursday, September 25, 2008

Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

I am most certainly not "on a roll" with my blogging muse here. I am possibly even close to the definition of "off a roll." Is it any wonder, really? That I'm having trouble writing about my silly life when the world is falling apart? The octopus eating the shark maybe taps into my angst a bit.

There's the presidential election. Don't even get me started on that. I can't say anything unique about all of that except have I mentioned that Barack Obama's personal assistant is my celebrity boyfriend? And that Michelle Obama is JUST LIKE ME? Have I mentioned that?

I don't even really have anything intelligent to say about the election shenanigans that someone else couldn't say better. But I do spend a great deal of time that I would normally spend writing watching the election trainwreck, unable to blink or look away. And then I can't seem to do much else except say, "....wah?" Or something.

The economy? Dude, I don't even really get it. Except that it sucks. And it's weird. And it's historic and stuff. And Warren Buffett. And remembering how happy I was to be in England where they seemed to have taken a several-century break from being a superpower and I liked it just fine and wished that America would do that sometimes. And now I am wracked with guilt and angst over that thought and DOES THAT MEAN IT'S ALL MY FAULT?

And the weather? It's weird. It's always weird in Seattle anyway, but it's WEIRD. Makes me kind of angsty, even though it's cold and rainy just like I like it.


It's not just the national stage, either. I have one friend whose international adoption is finally, after a year of waiting, coming through just as she has to quit her job and start a new one. Another was a finalist for a job that I told her about and was not chosen. Another just moved the hell away. Nicole Kidman got pregnant swimming in a waterfall. And I'm still confused why it was on my news reader for three days that Clay Aiken is gay.

And the babies? In China? With the milk? I can't even bear to read those stories. Because when I needed formula to keep my own baby alive I read how babies died in China from falsely marketed and unregulated formula and I nearly died. I can't even find the link for you or I may die. And now there's more of it. And I may die. And PETA thinks Ben and Jerry's should use breast milk in ice cream. And that's so bizarre that I can't even contemplate it. I can make a baby with the finest of them, but as a producer of milk to keep the world in ice cream I would be put "out to pasture" pretty darn quick. Maybe that's their point, that the cows don't like it either.

I'm reading the first Twilight book, and has anyone else noticed that both Stephenie Meyer and JK Rowling wrote their culture-making novels while being mothers of young children? Just saying.

And then to top it all off, I was going to post a video from my new computer's webcam of Hugo and I being all cute and I can't get it to work. It uploaded double speed video and normal audio. The straw that broke the camel's back.

Is it me? Is the world always this weird? It's weird, right?

26 comments:

Misty said...

well, before your post I would have agreed it was weird but then you go on highlight all of this phenomena that I knew, and a lot of it that I didn't- and now I'm really in agreement!

Your Pal Pinki said...

I don't know how Stephanie Meyer and JK Rowling wrote a sentence and spent any amount of time with their babies. I've always said, "I'm in my research phase of writing." I have teenagers and I'm just now finding time to write my ideas down.

I found you on Bad Mom and I'm bookmarking you. I'll be back.

Irene said...

HI Nora Bee, I have an award waiting fr you over at my place. Please come and get it. You would honor me.

Nowheymama said...

I JUST posted about the PETA thing. It is a weird time. I agree.

JCK said...

I'd like to have your kinds of writer's block. Jeezz... You covered it all. And well, my dear. :)

ellen said...

There are some strange buckwheats out there. (out here?) I would truly love this country to sit back and quit trying to rule the world.

Suzanne said...

No, it's definitely not you. And honestly, I had a similar England revelation a few days ago -- kind of like, well, that other former empire is muddling through now, and that's where we're headed. So muddle on we will. Unless the weather wipes us out first.

Anonymous said...

You're right...the world's been very weird lately. Weirder than usual. I blame the ragweed.

smalltownme said...

The world IS weird and I've been feeling very unsettled.

Mrs. G. said...

Yes, it is just plain weird.

Jennifer said...

WAIT a minute, here.

CLAY AIKEN IS GAY????!!!!

Who could have seen that one...



(And yes, no, it's not just you...*sigh*...)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

So weird.

I can't tear myself away from the tv news--something I never, ever watch.

JessTrev said...

Yah, you captured it, I just can't tear myself away. From the DNC to the Olympics to the RNC and now THIS FREAKING MESS OF A WORLD when will we ever sleep again? Much less write!

She She said...

It's not you. On the continuum of weird, it's up there these days. Should calm down on or about November 5.

I really had no idea of your superpower. You can just wish us into a banking crisis!? Use your powers for good, girl!

Jen's Farmily said...

The breast milk thing is definitely weird. Definitly. I hate when PETA says stupid shit like that. Instead of doing good for animals, people are laughing at them. Grr.

Heidi said...

Ok, First: yah! I am famous!

Second: ok, I don't know nothin bout the bible or astrology, or other lines of thought that might try to explain this, but there is something FREAKY going on. It's rainy and stormy, adoptions approved, jobs changed/forgone, IVF not working (of a friend), the economy!?!?!....

Mary Alice said...

I'm sure there have been weird times before and there will be more in the future...but yes....right now does seem a little more odd than usual.

Anonymous said...

the world is most decidedly weird.

Angie McCullagh said...

It's Armageddon weird!

Maggie, Dammit said...

I hear ya. I can't seem to think of a thing to say on my blog myself - I just ask other people questions. ;)

Yes, the world is weird. Crazy weird.

Let me know what you think of the book. I have some OPINIONS on the series, myself.

Debbie said...

That Nicole Kidman thing sounds suspiciously like excuses girls in my high school used when they suddenly became pregnant. Great post.

Texasholly said...

I loved this. Random is the new black?

I have just been watching with my mouth shut about a lot lately. Just because my thoughts don't seem coherent enough to state.

Thanks so much for linking!

jill jill bo bill said...

You are so right, we are being consumed by weirdness. Great post.

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle said...

I think it's completely normal...hmmm...am I weird? ;)

Now you've got me thinking...

oh...and the PETA thing, I hadn't heard about. Odd. That's all I can even THINK about that!

Anonymous said...

I love it when you have 'nothing to say' --you always end up cracking me up ;)