Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I really can't NOT share these

I may be the last person on earth to do so, but I have recently borrowed a copy of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I am told that I will be obsessed. Won't be able to put it down. I'm sure this is true as I am highly susceptible to such book crack. Wish me luck, people. I'm going in.

But guess what? Completely unaware that the book exists, much less takes place in Forks, Washington, I was there in April on a trip to the peninsula. I took some photos from the car, thinking I would write a smart and trenchant blog post about how they need a good public health person LIKE ME. No sidewalks, young mothers (really young) walking on the non-sidewalks on the one road through town, homes with wood burning stoves. Clear cut forests. Etc.

A few things got in my way. First and foremost, it was probably a stupid idea, but I was high off of my recent dissertation defense so I was being dumb AND arrogant. Then, my camera battery died before I got to the wood burning homes. And then I looked at my photos and realized that there are actually sidewalks, at least in parts, and so my high horse lost some of its height, if you know what I mean.Then, we got pulled over for going 40 in a 35, on the way INTO town. I swear we did. The officer seemed like a nice person but he really wasn't that nice to us, nor did he stop dead at the sight of my breathtaking baby in the backseat and declare us above the law for producing the world's first perfect human. Meanwhile the locals are whizzing by us at like 90, and he's giving us a warning. But he did give us a warning and not a citation so I guess he really was nice after all.

But then I can't mention that police officer without mentioning the bus driver who ended his break early to let my baby sit in the bus driver's seat and turn the bus on his very own 14 month old self. That man was a star. Love him.

You didn't miss much, eh? But seriously, it was an intense place. See, even now, I'm all I love it! No, I hate it! It's beautiful! No, it's remote! It's backward! No, they have it all figured out! Community! No! Isolation! Wah! The timber! The mountains! The ocean! Wah!

But enough about me. Let's just take a moment to pat Ms Meyer on the back, because OF COURSE it's the most perfect place on earth for a vampire novel. It is most certainly NOT the perfect setting for a manifesto on public health by an obnoxious overeducated espresso bar patron. Not that any place IS, mind you. My heavens, are you still reading this? I'm so gross.

Anyway. Anyway. Now that I'm embarking on the Twilight journey I'm finding that the photographic evidence of my quick foray through Forks on the way somewhere else, then back again on the way to Seattle, is helping me enjoy pages 1 through 20, so I will share them with The World. You know, setting the scene. Picturing the characters. The vibe. The trees. (The rain.)

OK so here. Shutting up now. Promise.















15 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I just started Twilight with my girl, and well, it's not sweeping me away.

(I'm blaming expectations on this one, stupid hype.)

That said, I did wonder what the real Forks looks like.

I think she nailed it on the head.

smalltownme said...

Cloudiest place in the country?

Mrs. G. said...

You are not the last person to read the Twilight books.

Misty said...

oh do keep me informed as you progress through them! you are not far behind me as I only read twilight a month ago, this week. Granted, I did finish the entire series in 5 days. (HATED book 4) I was obsessed... It was Edward mostly, and his family. I loved them...

I am jealous of your trip to Forks. I want to go. I am planning to road trip there next year as I think we are getting too close to winter now.

Nowheymama said...

I haven't read the Twilight series, nor do I work out to 30 Day Shred. I am behind on Internet trends....

Vanessa said...

I had no idea it was set in Forks either!

Maggie, Dammit said...

I had no idea Forks was a real place! These photos are CHANGING MY LIFE. Totally not kidding.

Off to share this post with other rabid Twilight fans (which, by the way, is honestly not a great series but is somehow highly addictive despite it all.)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Twilight? So-so.

It's nice to have visuals of the place though. Thanks.

flutter said...

I love the books. LOVE THEM I know, it probably makes me like, totally uncool to admit that.

Now I really want to go to forks

Jodi said...

That's what I call "drive-through photography". It doesn't look like you even stopped in Forks...or even slowed down? I don't blame ya. I'd rather go to...Aberdeen or Humptulips, Moclips or something.

Angie McCullagh said...

That's...breathtaking.

JCK said...

Loved your musings on the trail...What WAS that officer thinking? You've shown us pictures of the most beautiful baby in the world and obviously the bus driver thought so, too!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read those books, but I've heard A LOT of hype over them. You'll have to give us your opinion when you're done!

lapoflux said...

I haven't read the books yet, but I am now considering it to see if they do the place justice.
So you're not the last person!!

Darla said...

I keep resisting this series although it sure is being mentioned everywhere.

I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest. Although I haven't been to Forks that I remember, those shots could be of many of the roads and towns I've seen. Made me a teeny bit homesick.

Darla