Thursday, March 5, 2009

Jeff is from Mars, Nora is perfect

So at 4am I wake Jeff up and I'm all, I'm NERVOUS. I'm ANXIOUS.

And he's all, can I sleep some more?

And then at 8 he is awake and he's all, now what was the problem?

And I'm all, I'm NERVOUS about quitting my JOB. What if it is the wrong thing to DO? What if I never get a job again and I disappear from the world entirely? If I become INVISIBLE?

And he's all, I think you should email your new part-time boss lady and talk about getting started.

And I'm all, noooooo! I don't want ACTION STEPS! I just want you to BE there for me while I talk about how I'm FEELING!

And he's all, but why don't you email her?

And I'm all, so you don't LOVE me?

And he's all, I don't see why you won't just email her.

And I'm all, I DID. At 5am after you wouldn't WAKE UP to TALK to me about my FEELINGS.

And he's all, umm, email her?

And I'm all, FINE! Now I have to worry about being UNEMPLOYED, being UNLOVED, and being STUPID. I'm taking a SHOWER.

And then he comes in to the bathroom and is all, you're doing a good job. It will all work out okay.

And I'm all exhaling and calming down and I'm all, thanks.

And then I drove him to work because he missed every bus there was telling me to email her, the end.

17 comments:

Mary Alice said...

Marriage should come with a special decoder ring.

Madge said...

thank goodness my husband didn't know i was going to be a total nut job when he married me. and vice versa.....

Jen's Farmily said...

hee hee. I swear, Mr. C and I do this all the time. I'm always all "So you don't love me?" hee hee.

Angie McCullagh said...

So, have you quit? And, if so, how did it go?

smalltownme said...

I think his missing the bus means he loves you. Men can be subtle like that.

She She said...

Oh, you're so funny. I love this.

Karen Jensen said...

I like the fact that he seemed to get it by the time you got out of the shower.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Geez--he doesn't want to listen to you vent at 4 a.m.--what's up with that?

Misty said...

Change the details a bit and yep- this is weekly snippets of conversation from our house, complete with me gazing at his face like he's a space alien while my brain silently wonders "What is wrong with him? Doesn't he understand what I'm saying?"

Kate said...

Haha, these types of conversations happen all the time in our house. In fact, we had one almost exactly like it driving to our pre-marriage marriage counseling one day. The topic that day: Active Listening. The irony killed. I am, however, less amused at how little that particular lesson soaked in ...

ellen said...

Oh, Nora...I would hold your hand, if I could and if it would help. It is scary...but I know you won't disappear, nor will you become invisible...and I think you are married to a very sweet man!

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

LOL...why can't our husbands read our minds? why can't they understand why we feel like we are fading away when we leave a career? hope you enjoyed the drive :)

Tania said...

Ha! I know that conversation, or at least variations of it.

Anonymous said...

You two sound like the perfect couple to me! ;)

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

We know this story all too well.

lapoflux said...

Of course you're normal.
You weren't doubting were you?
Sounds absolutely, completely 100% normal to me.

Lacy said...

I love your title!!!!