Monday, March 9, 2009

That time of year

It's that time of year, when the fall apples are all crappy and old, the winter oranges have gone all dry, and the spring berries aren't quite here yet, unless you count the ones from Chile or wherever, which I do, kind of, and then I go all la la la la sorry global warming but these Chilean berries are on SALE, oh warming planet of mine, SOMEONE has to buy them and I think that I read somewhere that it is actually less crappy for the environment to fly in Chilean blueberries than to try to grow them up here in our hemisphere all year round. Then I go to the farmer's market in my head and wonder if that counts, if I just go in my head. And then I realize that it probably does not count AT ALL, just like it doesn't count if someone offers me a job in their head. And then the worry, the worry, all because of the berries.

Which reminds me of how my college boyfriend went to work at JP Morgan after college and I went to the Christmas party with him and it was in some shmancy hotel in Manhattan and I was shamefully underdressed and there were fresh raspberries by the BUCKET, seriously they were everywhere, mostly at the bottom of people's champagne glasses all fancy like, and then look at Wall Street now, I sure hope they didn't have a fancy December raspberry party THIS year. And did you know that JP Morgan had something wrong, seriously wrong, with his nose? That's why there are no pictures of him. And then I also went up in the World Trade Center several times and now I'm afraid of heights and that's the end of the Wall Street chapter of my life, the end.

But I digress, because what I REALLY wanted to say was that it's the down-time of the year, produce wise. So time to break out the frozen fruit smoothies here at the Bee's, because Jeff is from California and that is what they do there, just make smoothies all the damn time. Except that I'm NOT from California, I'm from Pennsylvania where we eat cured meats and things that contain lard, so it's a culture clash.

But I digress again, because what I REALLY wanted to do was show you how sweet my boy is when he eats frozen blueberries so I am thankful for this time of year because look how cute? I love him.









22 comments:

Mary Alice said...

You are so right, we Californians eat smooothies all the damn time and that kid is adorable!

Irene said...

I wish I knew what smoothies were, but never mind, that kid sure is adorable and could I borrow him to cuddle with?

Susan said...

I suppose cured meat smoothies are out?

Nowheymama said...

This Pennsylvania girl served venison for dinner the other night. That's right--you heard me.

Angie McCullagh said...

Oh, he's darling. What great shots.

You can actually get some decent apples at the Ballard Farmers' Market. You just have to ask which ones are best.

Anonymous said...

He is very cute and don't knock the frozen berries--I miss blueberries so much living overseas. Just to give you a little perspective, though, here in Morocco we are eating fresh local juicy sun-ripened deep red strawberries, for a grand total of $1.00 (approx) a pound! The oranges aren't as good this time of year though, apparently. And the bananas are imported from Cote d'Ivoire.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until the local fruit/veggie stand opens again. They opened my eyes to what strawberries SHOULD taste like!

And I love how into eating blueberries he is!

shrink on the couch said...

He sure is an adorable little blueberry eater. Those green eyes (blue?) are amazing. I do believe with a bit of photoshopping, you could convince him he's wearing lipstick! Might come in handy one day, say when he wants to get his driver's license?

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Hey. I'm from PA too.

And hey. Don't you have, like, flowers blooming over there in Seattle? Azaleas maybe? Oh what I wouldn't give for one little flower.

Dawn in D.C. said...

oooooh! He is just delicious! Makes me want to have a..


...grandbaby!!

lapoflux said...

He is so very very beautiful.
And no, I did not know that about JPMorgan. And I used to work there. But I was probably so busy plotting my exit that I never noticed the lack of photos. Now I have to google him. Darn.

Magpie said...

Funny. I resort to the frozen fruit this time of year too, and I'm not even from California. And what the hell was wrong with Morgan's nose?

Magpie said...

PS = here's Morgan: http://www.philadelphia-reflections.com/images/jpmorgan.jpg

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

My daughter's breakfast every morning? Smoothie. You nailed us.

He's obviously meant to have berries year round--damn the environment!

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Forget the berries. I want to nibble on him.

Misty said...

lets just refrain from "middle ground" in this situation and not make a lard and frozen fruit smoothy...

but wow, interesting about the JP Morgan.

Tania said...

We periodically have smoothies for dinner over here.

Love the pics.

Anonymous said...

There are people who don't drink smoothies? Serously? Wow, I guess I need to get out more.

I love the pics...he's such an adorable little guy.

Lacy said...

Your boy is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Adorable boy! Yes! A smoothie. Think I'll have one for lunch.

JCK said...

That's one little gorgeous guy.

Yes, and we do drink smoothies in California...

Anonymous said...

[ ... ] link is being shared on Twitter right now. @zenx, an influential author, said RT @1ndus: Xtreme [ ... ]