Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I fooled them

"Impostor syndrome can be defined as a collection of feelings of inadequacy that persist even in face of information that indicates that the opposite is true. It is experienced internally as chronic self-doubt, and feelings of intellectual fraudulence.

It is basically feeling that you are not really a successful, competent, and smart student, that you are only posing as such.

Some common feelings and thoughts that might characterize the impostor syndrome are: “I feel like a fake” “My classmates/professors etc. are going to find out I don’t really belong here,” “Admissions made a mistake”

Source

I successfully defended my dissertation today. Most importantly, this was my outfit (except I had brown pants. And no earrings. And heels! Imagine! I didn't even trip). Seriously, wouldn't you have passed me? It was grand--a full house, cookies, good questions.

Now for some serious wall-staring. Short sentences that don't cite any authoritative source. Playing with trucks and blocks. I totally did it.

22 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Congratulations!

And you wore my favorite color combo--brown and blue.

Suzanne said...

Congratulations! What a big achievement! Love the outfit, by the way.

ellen said...

Oh, Good Show and Congratulations!!!What a wonderful feeling..free. I am so happy for you.

She She said...

Congratulations, Dr. Cornbread!

Mrs. G. said...

I am totally thrilled for you! You've done it. This just makes my all ready good day even better.

Good work, Dr. Whopping Cornbread.

JessTrev said...

Yay for you! And of course, you didn't fool *anyone* you just revealed your greatness...

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Congratulations!!! You dress exactly as I would picture a successful doctor, Dr. Nora Bee!

Texasholly said...

Yeah! You did it AND looked cute which totally garners extra bonus points. That is really great. I like the Dr. Cornbread title...better then Dr. Whopper.

lapoflux said...

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Good for you - I am very happy for you!

Family Adventure said...

Woo-hoo!!! Way to go!!

Some wall staring is definitely in order and well deserved!

Heidi

Melanie said...

Well, well done. You know what time it is now?

ANTM time, baby. Say 'hi' to Tyra for me.

Vanessa said...

A huge congratulations to you! You did it, time to celebrate huge!

JCK said...

Congratulations on a hard won accomplishment!! Go celebrate with a little bourbon on me. Or you drink the champagne, I'll have bourbon for you!

Kathryn Thompson said...

Congratulations on a huge accomplishment and a great outfit!

Tania said...

...and I thought I could always spot a poser. Well done!

Anonymous said...

BRAVO!!! (Do we get to see photographic documentation?) ;)

BOSSY said...

Wow, great luck! Fingers crossed.

Melissa said...

Congratulations. You did it! And great outfit! (And when did your header change? I love it :) )

country mouse said...

Nora--that's wonderful! Congrats : )

Minnesota Matron said...

A hearty congratulations!

Claire B. said...

Congratulations! I cannot imagine the relief you must be feeling that this huge weight is off your shoulders.

Enjoy the little things again!

I don't know how you'll feel about it, but I've tagged you. Don't hate me. Come see.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I am so late congratulating you (I've been not blogging so much). I totally remember that feeling, and it took about four months before i wanted to use my brain again. Congrats! You ROCK!