Sunday, January 11, 2009

What are you doing for the inauguration?

The cashier in the grocery store today--the only adult I have spoken to all day besides Jeff--said she is hard at work planning her inauguration brunch. Trust me to have my head in the sand until a day before and start tuning in around noon, but thankfully she told me that our great Michelle Obama's lovely husband will be sworn in at 8:30 am Pacific time on the 20th. She's all, I think everyone is taking the day off. Everyone I invited has asked to bring someone. (It is not worth mentioning, but I will, that she did NOT invite me.)

And I probably couldn't take the day off anyway, what with my new job and not having EARNED enough time off yet. However, I could probably cash in on some of the FLEXIBILITY I have and come in late. Bake a coffee cake, slurp some extra coffee, blubber like idiot etc. How does it work? He gets sworn in at 8:30 and then goes right to the podium? I'm getting a little choked up thinking about it.

I think I was actually living in DC when GWB was inaugurated and I think there was some kerfuffle about a few people trying to go to the Mall to watch, but mostly I think I just had a normal day. It's all fuzzy. But this one? THIS? Must watch. It's all historic and stuff, yes, but this man can give a SPEECH, people.

And watch, because Michelle is probably--and I really think this is quite likely--going to hold up a sign saying Nora, we need you in the White House to co-head the Work/Family Balance Sucks In America And Universal Health Care Would Take Care of A Lot of The Suckiness Initiave, but only two days a week so you can be with your family and write your blog. Hurry!

So how will your routine be different on January 20? Or not?

20 comments:

Misty said...

honestly, it probably won't be any different. Does that make me a horrible american?

Susan said...

I hadn't thought about it until a local theater announced they were doing a live broadcast. And then I was all about taking the kids out of school and making it a Big Fat Deal. I hope they serve brunch. I love brunch.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

The only day of the week I work is Tuesday, so I have to go. I will be sporting a clandestine ear bud on my hubby's tv/radio.

GroundedGirl said...

1) That picture is SO HOT I might need to take a moment... Phew! That there is the man who is going to be our PRESIDENT in just over a week and his amazing wife. It may be a physical shock to shift from thinking "DUMBASS" every time I hear/see/think about the President to "DAMN that is MY PRESIDENT!" (Does falling in love feel this giddy? I forget...)

and 2) Yes, I will be altering my routine. I will be in Los Angeles, the Other City I Swore I'd Never Visit, with the woman who was my election day GOTV coordinator in Las Vegas, the First City I Swore I'd Never Visit. Champagne will be involved. I will cry or at least feel verklempt.

Anonymous said...

I'll be in Milwaukee working amongst Republicans. Tuesday will probably be a double shift.

Mary Alice said...

That is the most wonderful picture of them. You can FEEL their love.

I don't know what I'm doing. I should plan something special shouldn't I?

Anonymous said...

I hope that the inauguration will be streamed live on the Internet because I have to be at work. The day before is MLK Day and therefore, no Daycare. I can't take two days in a row, dammit.

Oh and, kerfuffle? I LOVE that word. It's not used nearly enough.

Happy Inauguration Day! I can't wait!!

Angie McCullagh said...

I guess I hadn't even thought about it. I will most likely be taking my kids to school at that time. That doesn't sound very celebratory. Hmm. New plan needs making.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

My kids will be catching the bus right then, which it bums me out. I want them to see it.

I'll probably watch it and tape it and see it again, when I can see it with my family.

Anonymous said...

On Nov 4th, we were officially homeless (day one) and en route for our trip to Spain.
On Jan 20th, we're officially homeless again (day one) and en route to another housesitting gig.
So I won't have a lot of time to watch TV. Although don't worry--I'm sure it will be shown on the channels carried by Nile Satellite.
What is up with the universe?

Jay Ferris said...

I plan on devising an overly complicated inauguration-based drinking game that will have me housed by 10am. Yay America!

smalltownme said...

I'll watch on TV until I have to leave for work at 8:55. Yes, I have an under-5 minute commute.

Kate said...

We'll be in London and will either go to a 100 GBP Democrats Abroad black tie inauguration party or a 5 GBP expat keg party. It's not really a keg party, but it's fun to think of the contrast. Either way, it's going to be Christmas morning all over again!

Rima said...

I'm letting the V-meister stay home from pre-school. Because pickup is at noon, and isn't that when he's getting sworn in? Honestly, Inauguration Day should be a national holiday, no matter who is getting sworn in!

P.S. I think you're a total shoo-in for that position.

Anonymous said...

you can be damned sure we will be in the car by 8:30 so we can listen on the preschool run.

Unknown said...

I am hosting an Inauguration Champagne Brunch at my home in Helena, Alabama. 15 or so of my friends and colleagues will be toasting and celebrating all day long. I've been planning this for weeks and I can't wait!

shrink on the couch said...

I believe I will be seeing clients but "listening" to the long awaited speech of the century.

shrink on the couch said...

P.S. I'd quit my job and clean up puppy poop if Michelle asked me to.

Dani In NC said...

I've only been on my current job for a month, but I can already tell that our office is the redheaded step-child of the company. We've been informed that we will have to work our behinds off next week because the offices in the DC area are taking off Monday and Tuesday. I will try to catch the speeches on the radio at my desk, but I'm also thanking my lucky stars that the first black president was elected in the age of YouTube :-).

Anonymous said...

Jan 20 is my daughters 6th birthday, kind of outranks the US Presidential goings on around these parts, lol. But hey, it's on both our major TV channels all morning. Don't forget to oooooh and aaaaaah over the flowers...they are from New Zealand! (recession my arse!)