Wednesday, August 20, 2008

There's something for everyone in The Stranger

I am always fascinated at glimpses at lifestyles that are happening close by and parallel to mine yet completely invisible to me. Today I had an hour to kill with no computer or books handy (imagine!). So me and my americano sat down with The Stranger, the weekly rag available free on just about every street corner here. And hoo-boy did I get a glimpse! What a treat.



How could I not be drawn in? A promise of culinary dignity!



And the promise of this story...go on, you would have read it too.




The culinary dignity promised on the cover was indeed delivered--



I'm all, cool! Cheap eats! And there's no way I'm not the targeted demographic for THIS ad, what with having contributed significantly to the owner's purchase of a new car this year. I'm still thanking my lucky stars I didn't know about this place when I was pregnant...



A nice bookstore review...



My horoscope...this is my kind of paper, no?



But then we have the darker side...we don't make cancer jokes in my world, I'm afraid. I'm getting a little out of my league here.



OK, ok, still there. I do have a tattoo, you know. I'm cool.



Then the bands. Don't get me started on the bands. (These are bands, right?). I wasn't even cool enough to know THE SCENE even back when I left the house after 9pm. (I used to GET READY to go out while ER was on at 10pm, okay? Like in 1994.)



Wait, a band called The Cupcakes! (That's a band, right?). I like them already.



Ah, the classifieds. This is always nice, because who knows? I might find a nanny, or a research study to participate in, or an egg donor...



...or a job...



And then the personal ads. I swear the last time I read The Stranger, the personals were at least a LITTLE bit above the belt. Long walks on the beach and such. This week? Not so much. This is one of the more vanilla ones--I blushed at this page, I don't mind telling you. (Oh, you know you would have read it too).



Indeed.



And yet--and yet! Once you have that data entry job (or the full belly from the payment-in-food at Whitney's party) you can roll around in your gold coins and then go buy some bling (this is bling, right)?



Or a nice couch.


11 comments:

ellen said...

Culinary Dignity??? That cracks me up.

Janet said...

What a cool post!!!

Misty said...

we have a paper eerily similar, here, called The Scene...

Irene said...

I don't think we have a free newspaper like it here, but soon enough we will too, it is just a matter of time, because all those ads add up to nice revenue and does keep the reader curious, if not slightly disgusted and righteously so, but that feels so good.

We get our free newspapers on trains and buses and they are quite a rage and are well read. I never really read them, because I never have my reading glasses handy, but I have scanned them and can tell you that the contents are still quite innocent and mostly like the real news.

I don't know about the personal ads, being unable to read them, but I will take one home one day and have a good look. It might be quite educational. You know how we Dutch have that reputation...

Mrs. G. said...

I can't keep these in the house-I don't want my son to read the ads. They were fairly tame back in the day, but now? Fra-eeky.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Our free rag, "The Reader" is so full of plastic surgery ads I have trouble finding the content.

Claire B. said...

Why, I was just reading that very issue a couple of days ago! Love the Stranger. It certainly sheds light on what's going on with those who live on the wild side. My favorite column is "I, Anonymous."

What a great post!

Vanessa said...

The Stranger was always good for free entertainment. Did you read Savage Love? You should, it's interesting in a "you can't help but look at a car accident" kinda way.

Shonda Little said...

I fancy the naked lady outline.

Jennifer said...

I'm totally going to Whitney's party.

Blogger said...

Silver Gold Bull is the most reputable bullion dealer. You will be provided with bargain, up-to-minute pricing and they will make sure that your bullion is delivered to your door discreetly and securely.