Thursday, June 12, 2008

Holy crap


It's okay, baby, we just have to go to the doctor to get a note saying that little rash is nothing and you can go straight back to school. Maybe we'll even make it back by after lunch. Wait, that bruise shouldn't be there. What's that sore in your mouth?

What? Go straight to the children's hospital emergency room? Don't stop home first, and take care not to let go of him because his brain could bleed if he fell?

It's okay, baby, they are sure it's this thing that is serious but will be over soon. Let's just wait for the doctor. Here, a sticker with a loader on it! You are so lucky! A LOADER! On your SHIRT!

What? You suspect it's this thing that will be over soon but you will check for cancer just the same? Okay. I'll sit here alone and think about that for a few hours and entertain my baby. I don't have any food for him, or diapers or toys, can you help? Some string cheese and apple juice, that's great. OK, I'll take care that he doesn't fall down.

It's okay, baby. I know you just fell asleep but they need to get some of your blood. It will be over soon. A B C D E F G.... The wheels on the bus go round and round...Look! It's a doctor! Where is her nose? There it is!

What? The first blood you took wasn't enough so you need some more?

It's okay, baby. They need to stick your other hand. It will be yucky but it will be over soon. I'll hold you the whole time. I'll be strong so you can cry. Tell the nice lady how we saw a garbage truck, and the guy waved to you and said bye bye? Wasn't that fun?

What? No cancer? Great. But 100,000 is considered low and his is less than 5,000, the lowest your test can detect? And you need to keep him overnight and give him an infusion while he sleeps? That's okay, I know you can't give me Tylenol for my splitting headache because I'm not the patient. Maybe we can go to the gift shop and buy some while we wait for the doctor? Yes, I'll take care not to let him fall.

Look, baby! Daddy and Grandma and Grandpa are here! They love you so much! Show them your red bandage! I don't have a red bandage. Daddy doesn't have a red bandage. Only YOU have a red bandage! Yippee!


What? I should keep him awake a little longer because you're not ready to start yet? OK. We'll read some more stories. Can you hurry? It's 11pm. Wow, that's a lot of wires you're hooking up to him. He's supposed to sleep like that?

It's okay, baby. Say goodnight to Daddy! Say goodnight to Grandma and Grandpa! Bye bye! Look, they brought us a big bed so we can snuggle. They'll check you every 15 minutes for a few hours but maybe you'll sleep through most of it. I'll be here. Night night, my love. Twinkle twinkle little star...

He is home safe tonight, and they expect a full recovery. His doctors and nurses all have bubbas of their own at home and were away from them so they could take care of mine.





34 comments:

lapoflux said...

Good God - what a rotten thing to happen. Glad he is home and recovering - but what a scare.
Emergency rooms with the wee ones? Terrifying.
Hope he is back to his usual smiling self soon!

smalltownme said...

What the heck? Please please please let everything be OK.

TwoSquareMeals said...

How scary! I'll be praying everything is okay. Do they know what happened?

Anonymous said...

That must have been terrifying. I hope everything will be OK.

She She said...

Oh my god. I hope everything is okay. He looks so cheerful though. (My first son is a good patient, too, no matter what horrible thing the doctors do to him.) Please keep us updated. Bubba's in my thoughts -- and Bubba's mama is, too.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

How terrifying. I guess if you can blog about it you must be sure everything will be alright. Positive vibes coming your way.

Jodi said...

Hoping everything turns out fine. This stuff is no fun. No fun at all.

Mrs. G. said...

Oh Nora, I'm so sorry that you and Buddy went through such a night of terror. You are both in my best thoughts. Wow, he's grown.

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Bubba! You've just got me in Tears, Nora... we've been through this so many times at our house, but oh, did you nail what it's like! So very, very glad he's OK! And you know what? That little boy has one INCREDIBLE Mommy. Well done, you!

JessTrev said...

Oh, honey, I am so sorry you all went through this. I will be thinking of your Bubba.

Claire B. said...

Oh my gosh! Is he okay?

Poor baby! And poor mommy and daddy! I cannot imagine. . . keep us updated please.

What a beautiful and natural bit of writing that was. Is.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Poor Bubba! When I saw that first picture my heart jumped. I hope it isn't anything serious.

Anonymous said...

Oh Nora. HUGS. I have had a few of those nights. No fear like it. Love to Bubba.

Anonymous said...

holy crap is right!

It sounds like everything is fine/will be fine... and I hope so!

You were an amazing mama through the whole thing!

Family Adventure said...

What a nightmare...I hope everything is OK now!

Heidi

Janet said...

So glad he's ok!

Minnesota Matron said...

So sorry -- glad everything is okay now. I stayed nearly a week with Merrick in the hospital when he developed periorbital celulitis at eight months old. That's an infection of the optic nerve that KILLS if not stopped. Terrible. Glad your guy is safely home.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I held my breath as I read this. I cannot even imagine what you've been through and I hope everything is back to normal soon. What a rotten scare!

ellen said...

Oh, how terrifying. I am thinking of you, Bubba and your family. Take care. Nothing makes us feel more afraid and helpless than watching our child go through medical emergencies.

Vanessa said...

Oh Nora, how scary! I'm so glad he is back home and (hopefully) doing well. What an awful scare! How lucky he is to have you as his Momma and hopefully there is someone for Momma to lean on too.

Anonymous said...

So scary! But so glad things are on the mend.

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness! That is completely terrifying! What on earth was it? Is your sweetie okay now? I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Heaven said...

Hoping every thing is okay.

Maggie Ginsberg-Schutz said...

oh. my. god.

What a heartbreaking post.

I'm so glad everything is OK. I love the update at the end - we forget that part, don't we?

Angie said...

Wow. That had to be awful. Hope all is okay with him now.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'll be back here often.

Take care.

She She said...

Nora -- Everything okay with Bubba? Been thinking about you guys. I hope all is well. -- Alesia

Rima said...

Oh, I hope he's OK! What a harrowing experience that must have been.

Nora said...

Thanks for all your good wishes, everyone. He had an uncommon but "classic" immune reaction that caused a drop in platelets that can happen in toddlers after a normal virus. It was terrifying, but the statistics favor a full recovery within weeks or months. Not that I have much faith in statistics now since he beat some high odds just to get the darn thing, but still....

Mary Alice said...

I am happy that it all turned out well. Nothing is more frightening than waiting with your sick child ina hospital.

JCK said...

I'm so sorry. This sounded horrifying!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I am so glad to hear he is doing well. My daughter was a preemie and spent a week in the NICU and my fervent hope is that no one has to endure seeing their child poked, prodded, tested and wired... it is a sight that will haunt you forever.

Best to you all.

Melanie said...

OH, BUBBA. OH, NORA. You poor, poor babies.

Tania said...

Woa! I am a little late reading this one. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but am so happy that everything is ok. It's good that the doctors were so thorough, I guess.

stephanie said...

"Holy crap" is such an apt name for this post - it's about all I could think of to sum up my thoughts.

Glad it was worked out, finally (I hope?). Your guy looks like quite a trooper.